Rsync cross-compilation problem

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Jan 20 08:51:48 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 01:54:20AM -0600, John Van Essen wrote:
> (Note to Wayne - isn't it dangerous to assume that off_t is 64 bits?

Yeah, it probably is -- that code was always a kluge that doesn't really
get used.  I looked around at the rest of the rsync code, and it looks
to me like the various uses of uint64 could each be replaced by int64.

> If HAVE_LONGLONG is 0, look in config.log for  long long  to see why
> the test for it failed.  Does your cross compiler really not have it?

The root problem is that rsync's configure script uses AC_TRY_RUN in
bogus ways -- i.e. it totally punts a lot of checks when it is cross-
compiling, so it doesn't even check if "long long" works.  It looks
like configure.in is really in need of a bunch of cleanup in that
regard.

In the meantime, anyone cross-compiling would do well to look at all the
AC_TRY_RUN checks in configure.in in order to figure out which defines
didn't get properly checked, and then manually edit config.h to set them
to their proper values.