Rsync through SSH can't find directory

Aaron aaron at silicongraffiti.com
Sun Jan 16 23:27:24 GMT 2005

Up until recently, I was running a standard rsync/rsh to rsyncd server
combination to sync files.  Due to security concerns, I'd like to switch to
rsync through ssh.

I'm testing with the following from the client side:

rsync --verbose  --progress --stats --compress --rsh="/usr/local/bin/ssh -p
XXXX" \
--recursive --times --perms --copy-links --delete \
/rsynctest/test1 user at SERVER.IP.HERE:"/test1"

Rsync connects fine, but then complains it can't find the directory.

building file list ... link_stat /rsynctest/test1 : No such file or
directory
done

Number of files: 0
Number of files transferred: 0
Total file size: 0 bytes
Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 5
Total bytes written: 21
Total bytes read: 16

wrote 21 bytes  read 16 bytes  10.57 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00

The directory has been created, the user I'm logging in to ssh through has
full permissions on it, but for some reason it won't locate it - do I need
to get rid of my old rsyncd.conf or something?  I wouldn't think that would
affect it... Could it have something to do with the user rsync runs under in
rsyncd.conf?  Any assistance would be appreciated.