error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(692)

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jan 14 18:52:32 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 07:51:33PM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> 	unexpected tag -111
> 	rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(692)
>
> Can this be caused by the delay-renames patch ?

I don't think so.  An "unexpected tag" error indicates that something
went wrong in the synchronization of the data being transferred over the
socket, which is pretty strange.  While looking into this, I did notice
a couple minor problems in the --partial-dir code in CVS (these aren't
in the 2.6.3 code as they were caused by new features getting added to
the codebase):

 - If --whole-file is in effect, the generator would ignore the presence
   of a basis file in the partial-dir, and the file would therefore not
   be removed by the receiver (because the receiver now depends on the
   generator to be told what the basis file is for the transfer).

 - If --whole-file is NOT in effect, the generator might use a partial-
   dir file for the basis but not be able to tell the receiver about it
   (since the "name pipe" might not have been requested).  This could
   result in a corrupted transfer if the basis file for the generator
   was the partial-dir file and the basis file for the receiver was the
   normal file.

I tested how the code handles the verification-failed redo phase, both
with and without the --delayed-rename patch, and I didn't get it to
fail.  I thereafter diagnosed and checked-in fixes for the two problems
above.  You'll probably want to check-out the latest CVS source to get
them (since --delayed-renames makes use of the --partial-dir logic).