connection unexpectedly closed...

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Thu Jan 13 10:53:02 GMT 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Nigel Gilbert <n.gilbert at soc.surrey.ac.uk> wrote:

> When I run
>
> rsync -v --exclude-from= -a --delete --numeric-ids -e ssh -i
> /root/.ssh/id_rsa /bin/ root at sandi:/export/home/scbackup/socnt01//bin/

Is this the *actual* command?

- Why the null --exclude-from?
- FYI - you have a double slash in the destination
- Mainly - the -i and its argument need to be part of the -e argument:

  rsync -v -a --delete --numeric-ids -e "ssh -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa" \
  /bin/ root at sandi:/export/home/scbackup/socnt01/bin/

> I immediately get:
>
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(359)
> rsync -v --exclude-from= -a --delete -e ssh -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa /boot/
> root at sandi:/export/home/scbackup/socnt01//boot/

Why is this 'boot' and not 'bin' according to your rsync command?
In any case, it's odd that this rsync command is being echoed back.

> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(359)
>
> However, if I run exactly the same command, but with a normal user as
> the remote user instead of root, the rsync works as expected.

I don't see how it can work at all with the ssh -i argument not included
in the -e argument string...

Are you sure you have root access via ssh?  Some configs disable that.

Lastly - what version of rsync are you using (always important to know).
--
        John Van Essen  Univ of MN Alumnus  <vanes002 at umn.edu>