Rsync - Copying Every File Every Time

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Mon Jan 10 16:11:32 GMT 2005

On Mon 10 Jan 2005, Gabby James wrote:

> On my client I use the following command:
> /usr/local/bin/rsync --verbose --progress --stats --recursive --links
> --perms --compress 10.X.X.X::ftpscript/ /home/g/test

I would have expected to see the --times option also... Or just the -a
option.

> I pasted output of my rsync command below.   The FAQ mentioned people
> thinking files were transferred every time when in reality only permissions
> or group were being updated.  When I compare the files on my client &
> server, the permissions, owner & group are the same.
>
> What am I missing?  Why is every file being transferred every time?

Are they actually? Check the ctime of the files before and after the
transfer (ls -lc). Also, are any of the files (source or dest)
hardlinked?

Also, the files are pretty tiny, I wouldn't be surprised that
transferring the files is more efficient than checking for changes :-)

Paul Slootman