Using rsync daemon over ssh (was How to use rsync)

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Fri Jan 7 03:23:17 GMT 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, <gdp at cmcltd.com> wrote:

> /etc/rsyncd.conf
>
> motd file = /etc/rsyncd.motd
> log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
> pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
> lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock
>
> [rsync-test]
>         path = /home/xidcit/test
>         comment = XIDC Rsync Server
>         uid = nobody
>         gid = nobody
>         read only = no
>         list = yes
>         auth users = xidcit,rsync-user
>         secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.scrt
>
> I am having another machine.  From the 1st machine i want to copy one file
> test1 to the second machine. For this I am running the following command
> on second machine.
>  rsync -av --rsh="ssh -l xidcit" xidcit at xidc-rsync::rsync-test/test1 test1

Since you are using rsync daemon over ssh, the daemon is being run
as the ssh login user (xidcit) and not as root.  File permissions
now become important.  These must be writeable by the non-root user:

  log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
  pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
  lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock

But you really don't want that.  Instead, create an rsyncd.conf
file in the home directory of the login user and define paths
for the above files that are writable by that user.
--
        John Van Essen  Univ of MN Alumnus  <vanes002 at umn.edu>