date problem with ntfs or vfat mounted file sytem

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Wed Jan 5 09:11:56 GMT 2005

On Tue 04 Jan 2005, jean-philippe proux wrote:

> under linux I have to mount windows filesystem (ntfs or vfat).
> but with rsync (or with a single touch command as well) I can not
> write a file with a correct date on /mnt/windows_vfat or
> /mnt/windows_ntfs
> with ntfs --> only write file system !

NTFS support in linux is still limited to read-only (does it really say
"only write"?!).  There is an experimental option for write support in
the kernel, but AFAIK that's limited to overwriting files with the exact
same length. Hence pretty useless for rsyncing to.
There is a commercial NTFS filesystem module available that has full r/w
support, but I doubt you're using that.

> with vfat --> wrong date ! so rsync does a full copy each time.

Show some cut & paste examples of the wrong date... VFAT only has a
2-second resolution for the time for some bizarre reason; try using
rsync's --modify-window option.

Paul Slootman