Transferring Large Files w/ Rsync - Initial Xfer

d c casteld73 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 00:40:03 GMT 2005

Hi All-

I am trying to use rsync to synchronize very large files-  some are close to 2gb in size.

I have copied the files manually to a usb drive and shipped it to the location where the rsync server is running.

At the remote location I copied the files to a directory which resides on the rsync server and is being pointed to by the module section rsyncd.conf.

The source files have slightly chnaged and I now am trying to sync them.  However,  it seems that rsync has to copy the entire file itself the first time inorder to build the index (hash) needed in order to have more efficient transfers in the future.

How can I get around this?  I am pretty sure my problem is the initial transfer of data.  Once I have done a complete sync then rsync should in theory only make block level changes based on checksum...  right??  :)

Anyway I looked forward to the responses.  Thanks In Advance.