suggestion: "user delete"

ivo welch ivo.welch at yale.edu
Sun Jan 2 01:28:18 GMT 2005

dear rsync developers:

I use rsync as a convenient synchronization tool.  I know it was not
made therefore, but it is very convenient.   the only drawback I see is
that the delete option is "harsh"---if I edit on machine A, and then
forget that A is the updated machine, an rsync pull from machine B will
delete my new files on A (if I use --delete).   most of the time, this
is what I want, some of the time I screw up.  what I would really like
to be able to specify is my own version of "rm".  (it could rename file
x to be x~ instead of deleting it; or copy it somewhere to /tmp/; or
whatever.)

this may be easy to implement---a command-line option "---use-rm=" and a
system call instead of an unlink call.

possible?

sincerely,

/iaw