I am having a problem making a key of ssh using rsync

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Feb 26 21:35:54 GMT 2005

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 04:34:32AM -0600, chris allen wrote:
> rsync works fine except  it keeps asking for a password.

Just to be clear: rsync isn't asking for the password, ssh is.  I'd
recommend testing a simpler ssh command until you get it working without
a password, and then use that setup to make rsync's use of ssh work
without a password.  Like this remote run of "uptime":

    ssh -i /root/.ssh/rsync-key -v -l backup mcncyo.homeip.net uptime

There's a link of the "resources" page of the rsync web site that talks
about how to setup ssh to avoid password prompts:

    http://rsync.samba.org/resources.html

(My guess is that the backup account doesn't have the key you're using
listed in its authorized-key list.)