How to control rsync log?

xiaoqin_qiu at agilent.com xiaoqin_qiu at agilent.com
Thu Feb 24 19:35:21 GMT 2005

Hi,

We have a rsync server running on a HP-UX 11.11 server. The version of rsync is 2.6.3. There are several machines regularly rsync a lot of stuff(files and directories) to/from this server everyday. When we run rsync on these machines, we prefer running rsync with "-v" option (for verbose) so that we can see the progress of the rsync.

On the rsync server, rsyncd.conf file, we have the following global settings:

syslog facility = local5
transfer logging = no

And in syslog.conf file, we have the following settings:

*.info;local5.none /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log
local5.info        /var/adm/syslog/rsync.log

I noticed if we run rsync with "-v" option, the rsync.log on the server grows very quickly because it logged all the directories that got rsynced, which is a lot. The files that got rsynced are not logged because we turned off "transfer logging" setting.

Is there a way to let rsync server to have the ability to control if it wants to log those directory changes or not, like "transfer logging" does for files?

Thank you very much for your help!

Xiaoqin Qiu
Agilent Technologies, Inc.