Rsyncing really large files

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Thu Feb 24 16:59:18 GMT 2005

On Thu 24 Feb 2005, Wayne Davison wrote:

> It would certainly be possible to change the algorithm to not cache the
> data (and thus only allow the current block to be compared), but I don't
> think that idea has general enough interest for me to work on for
> inclusion in rsync.  You might want to look into coding it up for
> yourself.

I think that this would be useful enough in itself, e.g. when syncing
database storage files. The chance that blocks move around (without
changing) isn't that large. I've been considering something like that a
while... Useful when syncing a 40GB database when there's mainly only
insertions. I never had the time to persue it, though...

Paul Slootman