What's wrong with my exclude rules?

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Wed Feb 23 21:03:13 GMT 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke at gwdg.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Danny Sauer wrote:
>> On Wednesday 23 February 2005 12:08 pm, Danny Sauer wrote:
>
>>> None of the other excludes seem to be followed either - which is a
>>> royal pain.  Is it the order (or the --include /)?  What's the
>>> precedence of --include and --exclude?
>>
>> It's not the inclusion of '/' - I took that out, and it still tries to
>> sync /proc.  Thoughts?
>
> Probably the shell's wildcard expansion is striking across.
>   --exclude="/proc/a /proc/b" does neither exclude /proc/a nor /proc/b.

Good point.  I missed that.

> Try to use \\ instaed of "..".

I always use the '=' format to connect the option to the argument
(e.g. --exclude=/proc/*).  That way, there's no wildcard expansion
because no filenames will match that combined pattern.

Maybe all man page examples should use the '=' format?
--
        John Van Essen  Univ of Minn. Alumnus  <vanes002 at umn.edu>