Rsync run on TCP/IP?

Shachar Shemesh rsync at shemesh.biz
Sun Feb 20 18:12:07 GMT 2005

fred wu wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>  I have searched the email archive but i didn't find a clear
>answer(maybe I miss it) ^^
>
> 1. Does rsync run on TCP/IP?

Rsync has a server mode. Read the manual, and particularly the
"--daemon" option.

> 2. Without ssh, then rsync will be transferred in plain text?

If you don't use SSH (or another encryption encapsulation, such as
sslproxy), the data will be transferred in plain text.

> 3. Does rsync support Samba? Am I true to say that rsync, which is
>mainly on user authetication,  is transparent  to the storage like
>ftp?

rsync works on the file system. It doesn't care what the file system is.
If it's a samba mount, then that's ok. I am not aware of a FTP
filesystem, and therefor can't say that it will work over ftp.

> Any help to any questions will be appreciated! Thank You!
>
>Regards,
>Fred

          Shachar

--