Incremental Backups

Chris McKeever techjedi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 16:11:51 GMT 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:20:53 +0100, Paul Slootman <paul at debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed 16 Feb 2005, lists at southernohio.net wrote:
> >
> > I simply want to maintain a dated backup of a server so that I could
> > always go back to a certain date.  I would like to keep this structure
> > for each day for the last seven days, then one weekly snapshot for each
> > week in the month and then each month I would like to have as well.

here is a script from LINUX HACKS -
it will create a local mirror (in this case different HD) of the live
file system, and at the same time, create incremental backups of the
changes made - it only takes up
original-storage-size + diff(changes-to-files) .. I have overa year of
incremental backups on a 40GB drive mirroring about 20GB of data

umount /mnt/mirror
mount /dev/hdd1 /mnt/mirror

df -h;echo
cd /mnt/mirror

rm -rf /mnt/mirror/`date | awk '{print $2$3$6}'`

# copy current backup to a dated backup
# cp -al creates linked copies, in essence making incremental backups when
# the original file changes
cp -al /mnt/mirror/local /mnt/mirror/`date | awk '{print $2$3$6}'`;echo

# rsyn the active file system to the local mirror
rsync -ru --stats --delete /samba/* /mnt/mirror/local/;echo