Incremental Backups

lists at southernohio.net lists at southernohio.net
Thu Feb 17 01:24:54 GMT 2005

I read the following hint at:
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/#Incremental

mv backup.0 backup.1
rsync -a --delete --link-dest=../backup.1 source_directory/  backup.0/

I simply want to maintain a dated backup of a server so that I could
always go back to a certain date.  I would like to keep this structure
for each day for the last seven days, then one weekly snapshot for each
week in the month and then each month I would like to have as well.

It seems that this method would not use terribly much space in terms of
duplicating files, however I am not sure of the --delete portion, it
seems that I should remove the delete as I would like to at any point
be able to go back in time and look at a snapshot of the server.  Is
this a correct assessment?  And if so, would the more appropriate rsync
command go as follows?

sudo rsync -azRv -e ssh
--exclude-from=/Users/someuser/scripts/Server_Scripts/etc/rsync_exclude
--link-dest=../Server_Backup.1 administrative_user at someserver.com:/
Server_Backup.current

Thanks much for any help!

-George