Rsync friendly zlib/gzip compression - revisited

Shachar Shemesh rsync at shemesh.biz
Mon Feb 14 06:07:29 GMT 2005

Kevin Day wrote:

>At that point, I started to consider the question raised in the discussion threads by Kevin Easton - primarily:  are the checksum and compression block trigger selected by Rusty optimal?

Oh, come on, Kevin. Couldn't you have sent this email just one week ago,
before I started to recruit all of my math skills to do the precise same
analysis (for a slightly different purpose, though).

I am talking about rsyncrypto here, an rsync friendly encryption.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rsyncrypto. Trade offs are slightly
different than for compression - for each restarted block we lose at
most 15 bytes, and expected value is 8, so the number of blocks doesn't
matter that much. What does matter for us is the predictability of the
switch. If an attacker can guess when a block will end, she has another
possible known plain text, practically free of charge.

Another major difference between us is that I am assuming input data is
random, as I get the results of gzip :-). You, on the other hand, are up
against an impossible foe, I fear. You have no way of testing whether
the benchmark you chose is, in any way, indicative of the typical rsync
user's file.

>To refresh memories:  Rusty's checksum algorithm is to compute the sum of the previous 4096 bytes of source data, and his block trigger kicks in when the checksum is divisible by 4096 (i.e. SUM mod 4096 == 0).

Actually, the the version actually committed to Debian has slightly
different values. They are 8192 while summing over 256 bytes.

>Because the value of 4096 prior bytes seemed fairly arbitrary, and because modding by the same value as the window size seemed somewhat arbitrary, I decided to do some parametric tests with a couple of different checksum strategies, window sizes and block trigger mask sizes.

The only ones possible. I tried to create a formula describing the
expected length of the block based on Rusty's three parameters (minimal
block length, span of sum and modulo). Each byte is a known (uniform
distribution over the values 0-255. Like I said, since I'm assuming I'm
getting the output of gzip, I can assume that. You cannot). The sum over
span is still fairly simple (normal distribution with average at
255*span/2, and variance of 255^2/12*span). There things get awfully
complicated. There is a huge interdependency between consecutive bytes,
but two bytes span bytes apart are statistically unrelated (again,
assuming random input, which you cannot).

>The following is pretty long - I apologize for making my first post on the topic so extensive - but the results are interesting, and I figured I'd lay out everything that I have so far to see if anyone a) is interested or b) has any ideas of directions to pursue...

I'm sorry. I am very interested, but cannot read it all right now. I
will comment on it in a few hours or tomorrow. I will give you a few of
my insights on the matter:
1. If the expected length of each block is too similar to the minimal
length, you run a danger of rsync's efficiency being lost. Consider the
following. Minimal length=4096 (as in Rusty's case), expected
length=4120 (totally hypothetical). First run of the file has block
breaks at offsets 4100, 8220, 12300, etc. You then add one byte towards
the end of the first block. Obviously the first block will need to be
transfered again, but you run the risk that, since the second block has
now shifted, it will also end on a different boundary, and thus have to
be transfered again as well. If the expected length is too similar to
the minimal length, this can propagate for quite a few blocks.

How much is too similar? My original gut feeling was that "E=min*2" is a
good value, but as I'm writing this email, I am getting the feeling that
"E=min+span" would work even better.

>Test Description
>==========
>
>Here are some definitions:
>
>SUM = the value of the rolling checksum at a given point in the input stream
>Window size = the number of bytes in the input stream that are considered for the rolling check sum
>Block mask size = The size of value used in checking the current SUM to see if the current compression block should be wrapped up
>Compression block size = The number of bytes from the input stream between checksum triggers
>
>I decided to test using two forms of rolling checksum:
>
>1.  Rusty's strategy of just adding the values from the input stream
>2.  Andrew's rolling checksum that is used in the rsync algorithm itself
>

>For starters (I'm still working on processing tests on a larger data set), I chose a 28 MB database file (dBase file) - fixed record size, lot's of compression opportunities.

You may wish to check out the rsyncrypto CVS. There is a utility there
called "blocksizes", that is aimed exactly at checking this. This is
still not released (I only wrote it yesterday night), and gets its input
data from /dev/urandom. I also have premade span sizes for 50000 blocks
for 8192, 256, 8192 (Debian's gzip default), 8192, 8192, 8192, and 8192,
8160, 8192 (where the modulo sits at the dead center of the Gaussian
curve). Email me if you want the raw data.

>I then constructed a parametric study to see the impact of window size, block mask size and algorithm based on the database file as an input file.  The output of the tests is the average compression block size, and the standard deviation of the compression block size.
>
>For the initial tests here (more follow!), this is run in a test harness that just computes effective block sizes based on the two checksum algorithms - it is NOT running the patched zlib/gzip code directly (I do that testing later on).  The results should help us understand the dependencies between different parameters, which will help determine how to pursue future testing.
>
>My thinking here is as follows:
>
>Average compressed block size
>------------------------------------
>The average compression block size is going to pretty much dictate the overall effectiveness of the zlib/gzip underlying compression algorithm.  Ideally, we want to have a control that we can tune to adjust this value so we get decent performance from zlib, but not have blocks that are too big (which would reduce the effectiveness of the rsync operation itself).  The zlib algorithm's performance is non-linear with respect to the compression block size, so finding this balance point is particularly important from an optimization perspective.  In general, I find that block sizes around 4000 - 5000 seem to be about optimal - anything below that, and the compression drops off.  Anything above, and the compression doesn't improve much.
>
>Std deviation of compressed block size
>I initially thought that the standard deviation of the compression block size would be important because of the non-linear behavior of the zlib compression algorithm with respect to block size.  If our standard deviation is too high, then we might have a great average block size, but most blocks will be significantly above or below the average, so the effective performance of both the compression and rsync pieces of the problem will be far from optimal.

Here gzip and rsyncrypto differ in objectives. For rsyncrypto, a large
standard deviation is a plus, as then the attacker cannot guess where a
block ends.

>Another way of putting this:  If I say that there isn't a good deal of improvement in compression ratio for compression block sizes above 4000 bytes, then I would optimally choose my checksum algorithm and parameters so that 4000 = (Xavg - Xsigma).  If I have a small Xsigma, that allows me to have a smaller Xavg.  And smaller Xavg *should* translate into better rsync performance.  I have NOT tested this yet, but it is certainly an obvious next step.

Please note my min+average observation above. They shouldn't be too
similar. Also, a big standard deviation will probably decrease the
chances that a small change will mess two blocks. Then again, you do
have compression to think of.

>There is one more consideration:  If a small change is made to a file, what are the chances of that change messing up 2 checksum blocks instead of 1?  In straghtforward rsync, messing up one or two blocks is not that big of a deal.  Once the data is compressed, I'm thinking that it would tend to be amplified.  I haven't done any statistics on this, and I could be compeltely off base - but my initial intuition is that having a smaller window size would lead to better ultimate rsync performance...  I would be extremely interested in anyone else's thoughts on this point...

Oops. That's what comes from not reading before replying (damn time
constraints). You asked for them, you got them.

>2.  Once you have sufficient window size, it stops becoming a parameter for consideration, and the Block Mask Size becomes the "dial" that allows you to control both the average compression block size and the standard deviation.  The correlation between the two is pretty much linear, with the RSync style checksum having a more controlled result.

Except for my point above.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.