[patch] add "--ignore" option

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Feb 7 17:37:40 GMT 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 12:24:35PM +0000, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> > Sure.  Having a rule be server-side only allows you to mark just some of
> > the rules with a --delete-excluded behavior and make it the default when
> > --delete is specified.
>
> I meant over and above what my patch did.

The difference is subtle, but what I mentioned was over and above what
your patch did.  You patch only allowed files to be marked as protected.
My patch also allows files to be marked as hidden.  Yes, it is true that
you could go through and use --ignore options for all the exclude rules
that you don't want to be deleted, and then transform the remaining
rules into "hide" rules by specifing --delete-excluded.  However, if you
miss one, it turns into a hide rule without your realizing it.  In my
patch, you can specify hide rules explicitly.  It is also possible to
mark whole files as server-side only.  Also, the user doesn't need to
specify --delete-excluded for hide rules to take effect.

> Well it worked for pushing over rsh transport (because I made
> it pass the --ignore options opwards)

Ah yes, so you did.  I missed the implications of that change (since
that's not how rsync handles the propagation of exclude rules).

> It looks good to me.  I'll give it a try and let you know, but
> I for one would be delighted to see this functionality in a
> full release of rsync.

FYI, in the CVS version, the patches dir now contains the file
sender-receiver-excludes.diff.  If I decide to promote it to the full
release, it will be removed from the patches dir.