Rsync and SSH on Windows

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Feb 1 20:37:03 GMT 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 10:22:42AM -0600, Lewis Franklin wrote:
> However, having read the documentation it seems that I should be able
> to run the ssh commands "inline" using the -e flag.

No, combining -e with :: syntax will start a brand new rsync on the
remote machine running in daemon mode, and that's a very different thing
from connecting to the already running daemon on the remote machine
through an ssh tunnel.  The only way to accomplish what you're doing now
is to use the two separate commands you have already discovered.