problem with acls patch on Solaris

Steve Barber steveb at cme.nist.gov
Fri Dec 30 23:13:55 GMT 2005

I'm having a problem with one particular directory with ACLs
while using the 1.63 acls.diff patch as I'm trying to migrate
some data.

Here's what I get (more or less instantaneously) when kicking
off the rsync:

building file list ... send_rsync_acl: unknown tag_type (0) on ACE;
disregardingsend_rsync_acl: unknown tag_type (0) on ACE; disregarding
send_rsync_acl: unknown tag_type (0) on ACE; disregarding
send_rsync_acl: unknown tag_type (645f2200) on ACE; disregarding
receive_rsync_acl: unknown tag D
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4092 bytes: phase "send_file_entry"
[sender]: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at acls.c(637)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(434)

Here's the version info:
# ./rsync --version
rsync  version 2.6.7cvs  protocol version 29
Copyright (C) 1996-2005 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, ACLs, symlinks,
batchfiles,

               inplace, no IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details.

Unfortunately I know nothing about coding with ACLs and my initial
pass through the code had my scratching my head.  So I pass this along
in hopes you might be able to help.

rsync seems to work just fine in all other directories but there is
something about this one that is causing problems.

Thanks,
Steve Barber
NIST
steveb at cme.nist.gov