error - File or path name too long

wwp subscript at free.fr
Thu Dec 29 10:07:58 GMT 2005

Hello Wayne,

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:16:19 -0800 Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 09:30:05AM -0500, Yuan, Zhiyong (Exchange) wrote:
> > readlink
> > directioty_1/directioty_2/directioty_3/A_very_long_File_name_omitted_here:
> > File or path name too long
>
> The OS has a maximum size that they will allow for the path+filename to
> be specified.  If a filename combined with its path exceeds this length,
> the OS will complain about it and refuse to open it by that name.  Your
> only options are to either make the name shorter, or chdir down deeper
> in the hierarchy before copying the file.

Hmm from a usability point of view, this makes the use of rsync far much
complex (or: less easy) if one wants to backup C:\ or any directory structure
w/ long names. In fact I do some rsync backup for one computer, only
including C:\My documents, and of course half of the files are not backed up
because of too-long-path-name, which is really annoying.

Couldn't rsync trick this and do exactly what you suggested from the user
(re-locate itself much deeper in the directory tree so that the relative
pathname gets shorter)?

Regards,

--
wwp