rsync server does not read /etc/rsync.conf

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Sun Dec 18 12:08:03 GMT 2005

David,

I hope you read Wayne's reply (included below).

Your command shows that you are using remote-shell syntax (single colon).
Therefore the /etc/rsyncd.conf file will not be read since that is read
only by an rsync daemon.  Daemon-mode syntax uses a double-colon.

Since rsync uses ssh (rsh prior to 2.6.0) to connect to the remote host,
you will have to deny the client ssh access to the server to prevent them
from running rsync (assuming you already have rsh access denied).

    John