rsync 2.6.6 nasty bug?

Jon Nelson jnelson-rsync at jamponi.net
Sat Dec 17 06:44:29 GMT 2005

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Jon Nelson wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Wayne Davison wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 10:05:59AM -0600, Jon Nelson wrote:
> > > The important thing is with the 2.6.3 binary everything works fine
> >
> > That's to be expected because 2.6.3 only implements protocol 28.  The
> > problem that I believe is occurring is that the destination host is not
> > supporting the final version of protocol 29 -- if it claims that it is
> > implementing protocol 29 but it was a based on a CVS snapshot that does
> > not implement all of the final protocol, it would fail in the way you
> > described (due to the official protocol 29 transmitting an empty exclude
> > list, and the server not expecting this info, causing a protocol failure).
>
> > > I've confirmed that the source is in fact 2.6.6.
> >
> > Yes, but what is the destination rsync version?  That is the important
> > info that I asked about in my prior email.  I would also like to know if
> > it is a version that was distributed by an OS vendor (e.g. if it was
> > packaged in a SUSE Linux distribution) or if it is a custom installation
> > that an individual installed and just forgot to upgrade to a non-CVS
> > version.
>
> The binaries on both machines are identical. I only need to change the
> destination binary to 2.6.3 for things to work - the source binary can
> stay at 2.6.6 without issue.  I downloaded the source for 2.6.6 from the
> rsync website and diffed it against the patched source from the SUSE
> srpm - the only differences are acl and srp things and I am quite sure
> they aren't the problem. If it makes you feel better I'll rebuild the
> rpm without the patches (I'm quite familiar with the process) and try
> that although I'm positive that they aren't a problem.

More wrinkles.  The only time I can make it happen is using ssh forced
commands.  With the destination machine using rsync 2.6.3 everything
works (source machine remains at 2.6.6 throughout all tests). If I
change nothing except to switch the destination machine to use rsync
2.6.6, I get weird errors. I don't understand why this works perfectly
with 2.6.3 and it fails utterly with 2.6.6.

What information can I provide to help?

--
Jon Nelson <jnelson-rsync at jamponi.net>