Mutual rsync and version control

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Tue Dec 13 17:01:26 GMT 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 10:29:12PM -0500, wang weihan wrote:

> I am working on two PCs and want them to do "mutual" rsync. i.e. 1) when I
> do modification on computer A's file it will syncronize to B *and* vice
> versa.

I don't think there's a way to do bidirectional sync with one instance
of the program - i've never seen any reference to it, anyway.  You could
rsync in one direction, and then in the other, but that will definitely
fubar files that have changed on both sides.

> 2) if I modify the same ascii file on both hosts simultaneously,
> rsync will automatically merge 2 versions like cvs does.

pretty sure not.

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile