rsync 2.6.6 nasty bug?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Dec 10 18:01:59 GMT 2005

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 10:05:59AM -0600, Jon Nelson wrote:
> The important thing is with the 2.6.3 binary everything works fine

That's to be expected because 2.6.3 only implements protocol 28.  The
problem that I believe is occurring is that the destination host is not
supporting the final version of protocol 29 -- if it claims that it is
implementing protocol 29 but it was a based on a CVS snapshot that does
not implement all of the final protocol, it would fail in the way you
described (due to the official protocol 29 transmitting an empty exclude
list, and the server not expecting this info, causing a protocol failure).

> I've confirmed that the source is in fact 2.6.6.

Yes, but what is the destination rsync version?  That is the important
info that I asked about in my prior email.  I would also like to know if
it is a version that was distributed by an OS vendor (e.g. if it was
packaged in a SUSE Linux distribution) or if it is a custom installation
that an individual installed and just forgot to upgrade to a non-CVS
version.