rsync 2.6.6 nasty bug?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Dec 10 09:59:56 GMT 2005

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 08:06:26PM -0600, Jon Nelson wrote:
> rsync -avvvvv --delete-excluded --exclude-from=excludes \
>   -e 'ssh' remote_machine:

I see no destination directory there, so is that command just listing
the remote files?  The verbose output you mention later seems to be
trying to transfer a file, so I think you left something out.  I'm going
to assume that you left out a local source directory because that's the
only scenario that makes sense to me.

Would you please double-check rsync's version on both machines?  I can't
get rsync to fail, so I'm left to assume that the server side really has
a version that is somewhere in between 2.6.3 and 2.6.4 (in that it could
say that it supports protocol 29 when it doesn't really).  If so, either
upgrade the server version or re-compile its current in-between-releases
source with the rsync.h define "PROTOCOL_VERSION" set to "28", not "29".