batch applied: "Directory not empty (66)"

Raymond Keller rsk at misinformation.org
Sat Dec 10 00:41:49 GMT 2005

* Wayne Davison (wayned at samba.org) [20051209 12:10]:
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 10:45:35PM -0800, Raymond Keller wrote:
> > In my source I have a directory that changed to a file.  I know this
> > requires --force or --delete, but using --only-write-batch I get no
> > error until I attempt to apply the batch.
>
> That's correct -- there's no problem generating the batch when the
> destination is not being modified (rsync notices that the file changed
> into a dir, but doesn't need to check if it is empty or not since it's
> not actually being removed).  When the batch is read back, the user has
> the option of using the --force option or not, regardless of how the
> batch was made (since it doesn't affect the making of a batch).  In
> fact, there is no problem if the user first uses the batch file without
> --force, notices that it is needed, and then re-runs the same batch file
> with --force since rsync skips all the already-applied changes prior to
> the change that caused the halt.

I get it; distinct create and apply phases, with their particular
behaviors/needs.

> > Also, unrelatedly, when rsync refuses to apply a specific change
> > from a batch due to the destination not being in the right state, is
> > there any way to get more detail on what aspect triggered the
> > refusal?
>
> I assume you mean the "Skipping batched update" message, that only
> occurs for one reason:  the file is up-to-date (for whatever definition
> of up-to-date was in effect when the batch was created).  The only other
> refusal happens when the changes get applied and the file fails the
> checksum (causing rsync to discard the bogus file unless --partial was
> in effect).

I do mean that, yes.  I had the misunderstanding that the
destination file had to be in a state identical to the corresponding
destination file against which the batch was originally created, or
an update would not be applied.  Thanks for clarifying.

I see now how I came into this erroneous idea.  The man page says:

  ``The read-batch option expects the destination tree that it is
  updating to be identical to the destination tree that was used
  to create the batch update fileset.''

I failed to closely read the following sentences which explain
exactly what you've told me here.  Thanks for tolerating (and
graciously answering) a man page question.

And thanks for (maintaining) the software!  Like gajillions of
others these days, I have my backups based on rsync.  52 "snapshots"
of three different systems, spanning two years, taking 31 gigs, with
new snapshots added six times daily.  I couldn't feel any more
secure if I wore pants with both suspenders _and_ a belt.

RSK