Three-way rsync?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Dec 7 19:41:40 GMT 2005

Stéphane Zanoni schrieb:
> Hello.
>
> I have been using rsync for a couple of months to provide synchronised
> data between two of our servers and have had wonderful success with it.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew of another tool that might provide the
> following:
>
> 	- "Real-time" push synchronization
> 	- rsync like "whats changed" algorithm
> 	- Distributed / Multiple-source synchronization
> 		eg: ServerA pushes to ServerB, then ServerC can receive
> from ServerA and ServerB
>
> Novell has a product called iFolder 3, but this requires a SUSE Linux
> Enterprise Server with Novell's OES. But this is still Server->Node
> synchronisation and not Server->Server

Did you check Unison? It uses rsync alghoritm, and if you want to create
a multi-way syncing, you'd have to create a "star" topology (with a
central server in the middle).

If you're familiar with rsync, you should be able to set up a multi way
synchronization with Unison in an hour or two (though the flags are
different); I can send you some of my scripts if you want.

If you want to achieve a real time synchronization, you'd have to play
with a distributed filesystem like Coda, which would take you a couple
of days to set up.

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org