parallel tree recursion

Phil Howard phil-rsync-2 at ipal.net
Fri Dec 2 23:29:32 GMT 2005

How hard would it be to have rsync do the file recursion scan on both the
source tree and the destination tree at the same time in parallel?  Would
that require a protocol change, or could just a program change be enough?

I have some very large directories I'd like to syncronize.  Total time to
scan through these millions of files is a substantial portion of an hour
or even exceeds it.  It just goes slower if these large critical time blocks
have to be done sequentially.

It would also be nice if rsync didn't have to collect the entire tree in
RAM all at once, but instead, both source and destination could recurse
their respective trees in sync with each other and copy, create, delete,
as things go through that parallel recursion.