Mini-HOWTO: Fixing rsync on Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4.x)

J.D. Bakker jdb at lartmaker.nl
Thu Dec 1 15:25:26 GMT 2005

At 09:54 -0500 01-12-2005, David Powell wrote:
>... ._resource forks being synced over and over despite the target
>file itself not moving..

Is this Problem #4 mentioned in http://www.lartmaker.nl/rsync/ , or
something else ?

>Missing fact...
>
>I am attempting a link-destination based multiple backup that
>creates hard links to files that are duplicates and only moves the
>changed files..  This implementation of rsync is not noticing the
>existing resource fork associated with the previous copy of the file
>so it moves the resource fork again.
>
>I hope this makes sense.

It would help to know if you're doing a local copy or a networked
one. Could you show us the full rsync command used ?

Are you experiencing data loss, or is this simply a performance issue ?

Regards,

JDB.
--
LART. 250 MIPS under one Watt. Free hardware design files.
http://www.lartmaker.nl/