Rsync clients connecting to rsync server.

Tim.Clashin at calcucare.com Tim.Clashin at calcucare.com
Wed Aug 31 14:42:40 GMT 2005

Thanks Wayne, it works like a champ now.  Appreciate it.

Tim Clashin

Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org>
08/29/05 10:32 PM

Tim.Clashin at calcucare.com
cc
rsync at lists.samba.org
Subject
Re: Rsync clients connecting to rsync server.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 05:10:21PM -0500, Tim.Clashin at calcucare.com wrote:
> When I try and use any other user besides root, I get the error on the
> server saying @ERROR:failed to open lock file.

Keep in mind that the rsyncd.conf file that rsync uses when it is not
logging in as root is the one in the user's home dir, not the one in
/etc.  If that file, you may need to specify a pid file, a lock file,
and a log file that a non-root user can write:

lock file = /home/user/rsyncd/rsyncd.lock
log file = /home/user/rsyncd/rsyncd.log
pid file = /home/user/rsyncd/rsyncd.pid

Also, you'll need to omit "uid = nobody" since a non-root user can't
change the uid of the running process.

> I am running the server on the command line with /usr/local/bin/rsync
> --daemon --config /etc/rsyncd.conf

That has no bearing on the client rsync command you listed.  When you
combine daemon host-syntax with a remote shell, you get a single-use
daemon spawned on the remote system just for that one copy.

If you want to talk to the already-running daemon process and still send
your data via ssh, you should use ssh's connection forwarding (or
perhaps stunnel).  If ssh isn't mandatory, just drop the -e option from
your client command and let rsync talk to the daemon directly.