Data corruption

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Aug 30 02:12:37 GMT 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 02:24:08PM -0400, Linus Hicks wrote:
> Mainly, it was apparently defaulting to using whole-file mode

If you're doing a local copy, --whole-file mode is *much* faster.  Using
--no-whole-file doubles your disk I/O, which is only a good thing if
your transfer is limited by network I/O.

> Is it possible -S is involved somehow?

Yes, using -S is incompatible with --inplace.  Unforuntately, rsync
doesn't (yet) complain and reject that combination of options.  I'll
check in some code for that now.  I'd recommend using --inplace and
--whole-file for the fastest local copy (that rsync is capable of).