Rsync clients connecting to rsync server.

Tim.Clashin at calcucare.com Tim.Clashin at calcucare.com
Mon Aug 29 22:10:21 GMT 2005

Hello everyone,

I am trying to set up an rsync server for backups over the WAN for about
25 servers.  I have been doing fine with the backups, if I am using the
user root as my way to push the data from the clients to the rsync server.
 When I try and use any other user besides root, I get the error on the
server saying @ERROR:failed to open lock file.

I looked at the man pages for rsync 2.6.6, and it states to use the -e
"ssh -l "userid" " option but I am still getting errors.  Here's my
layout.

>From the client this is what I am running

/usr/local/bin/rsync --partial --progress --stats -vvvvan -e "ssh -l
userid" /directory  rsync-user@"server ip address"::"module name"

I get connection and I am able to login but that's it.  I get the
following error on the client side:

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
_exit_cleanup(code=12, file=io.c, line=434): entered
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(434)
_exit_cleanup(code=12, file=io.c, line=434): about to call exit(12)

here's my /etc/rsyncd.conf on the rsync server

transfer logging = true
log format = %h %o %f %l %b
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
uid = nobody
gid = nobody
use chroot = no
max connections = 4
address = 10.210.4.64

[es0028]
        path = /pc1/snapshot/hourly.0/infermos/
        read only = false
        comment = es0028 backup

I am running the server on the command line with /usr/local/bin/rsync
--daemon --config /etc/rsyncd.conf , and I made the ssh user home dir /etc
just to test.  So it can see rsyncd.conf.  Still befuddled at this point.

Tim Clashin