encrypted destination

Shachar Shemesh rsync at shemesh.biz
Sun Aug 28 07:40:50 GMT 2005

George Georgalis wrote:

>In the archives I see the question about encrypted destination and it's
>mostly answered with the --source-filter / --dest-filter patch by Kyle
>Jones. There are also some proposed updates to the patch.
>
>A lot of these posts 3 years old, is there plans or reasons not to
>include them in the main line code?
>
>// George

Personally, I solved that problem using a preprocessing program. The
idea was to not share any key data with the destination. If that's
interesting to you, do check out rsyncrypto
(http://sf.net/projects/rsyncrypto).

What it does is to encrypt the files prior to rsyncing them. The twist
is that the files are encrypted in a way that does not obliterate the
wire efficiency of applying rsync to the encrypted files.

          Shachar