how to get around rsync error (OS X Tiger)

Lee Cullens lee_cullens at mac.com
Tue Aug 23 23:41:45 GMT 2005

Lee Cullens wrote:

> Patrick M McNeal wrote:
>
>>> That sounds like some weirdness introduced by the MacOS patches.  You
>>> should probably look for someone that is responsible for the MacOS
>>> customizations and ask them about this error.
>>

>> If you are using the rsync binary supplied with 10.4, you should
>> submit a bug to Apple via http://bugreport.apple.com.  If you are
>> using rsyncX, you should contact the developer at rsyncxdev at umich.edu.
>>
>> I've been pushing Apple to work with the mainline rsync developers
>> to  get their changes incorporated, but from what I can tell they've
>> not  done anything or are not interested.
>>
> Thank you for that very helpful info Patrick,
>
> The bug report is submitted.
> Being up in years, though, I may never see it resolved :-)
>
> Lee C

FYI

I also added the following to the bug report

Running rsync locally (at least) with the following command line:

sudo rsync -axEHuvv --delete --inplace
--exclude-from=/Users/Chinook/ShellScripts/diffcloneEXCLUDES
/Volumes/Mirrored_HD_Set/ /Volumes/LaCie_Disk_B

In addition to the other problems I've noted, Apple's rsync (2.6.3
protocol version 28) also changes more than a few permissions in
./Library/Application Support/     ./Library/Fonts/  ./Library/Internet
Plug-Ins/  ./Library/Scripts/  and ./System/Library/  (from -rw-rw-r--

Be warned to run Disk Utility repair permissions on target immediately
afterwards.

Snippet from lengthy DU permissions repair output:

Permissions differ on ./Library/Application
Support/Apple/Automator/Workflows/Applications/._Process
Images.workflow, should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -r--------
Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Application
Support/Apple/Automator/Workflows/Applications/._Process Images.workflow
Permissions corrected on ./Library/Application