how to get around rsync error (OS X Tiger)

Lee Cullens lee_cullens at mac.com
Mon Aug 22 23:25:43 GMT 2005

Lee Cullens wrote:

> Wayne Davison wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 09:57:13AM -0400, Lee Cullens wrote:
>>

>>> Where I am unclear is if in not using -H a hard link, (i.e. a
>>> duplicate directory entry for a file) will result in duplicated files?
>>>

>> Yes, all separate filenames will be separate files without -H.
>>
>> ..wayne..
>>

> Thanks for all your help and patience Wayne.
>
> Lee C

FYI Wayne,

In differentially updating a full clone with rsync, I don't want to be
creating duplicate files in something that is intended for restoring a
working volume, so I included the -H option.  Unfortunately that bring
me back to the conflict in OS X :-(

The specific error message encountered with --inplace already included
an tested an adding just -H for testing:

rsync: open "/Volumes/LaCie_Disk_B/System/Library/CoreServices/BootX"
failed: Operation not permitted (1)

Maybe I can come up with some fun and games to salvage the effort.

Lee C