how to get around rsync error (OS X Tiger)

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Aug 22 06:01:48 GMT 2005

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 09:31:10PM -0400, Lee Cullens wrote:
> So, the option to override this behavior would be "--inplace" I
> assume, and do yo know of any caveats regarding such locally?

If you're doing a local transfer, (which implies --whole-file), the only
adverse effect of --inplace would be noticed if the destination files
are in-use.  So, if the destinations are for backups, that's not a
problem.  For transfers that are not using/implying --whole-file, using
--inplace can make some updates as inefficient as if --whole-file had
been used (i.e. if potentially matching data is overwritten before it
can be used).

> If I might be so naive, may I also ask about the "-H" option?

Using -H tells rsync to look for files with identical inodes in the
transfer and hard-link them together.  It doesn't notice if a file is
supposed to be hard-linked to a file outside of the transfer (since it
doesn't know anything about files outside of the transfer).