ACL and RSYNC and -a

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Aug 12 15:31:31 GMT 2005

> >On Thu 11 Aug 2005, Marc Perkel wrote:
> >>Forgive me if this has already been asked but - shouldn't the '-a'
> >>switch include -X and -A for ACLs and extended attributes?

Given a better implementation of the --acls option (i.e. one that
doesn't complain if a source disk doesn't support ACLs), that might
make sense.  Another thing to keep in mind, though, is that rsync
always passes the individual options to the remote rsync, so adding
new options to -a makes it inconvenient to communicate with a variety
of rsync versions.  We'll need to balance these issues whenever ACL
support gets officially included in rsync.

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 08:04:45AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> maybe there could be a way with environment variables to set what -a
> means.

Create a file named ~/.popt or /etc/popt, and define whatever option
aliases you desire.  For instance:

rsync alias -a -aHAX