All the feature requests... A better way?

Scott Becker scottb at bxwa.com
Tue Apr 26 00:09:00 GMT 2005

Wayne Davison wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 09:30:30AM -0400, Eli wrote:
>

>>With all the different features people want - almost makes me wonder if
>>having an actual scripting language for rsync may be the best solution?
>>

>Such a solution could be much better if it were a very limited scripting
>language (e.g. we can't run unsafe code on the server, so perl is too
>powerful) and if it were really easy to understand what the scripts do.
>Certainly something to think about more and look into the possibilities
>for a future version of rsync.
>
>..wayne..

Perhaps an rsync 'job' file could be used instead of everything coming
from command line switches and separate file lists. Kind of like
rsyncd.conf but not for server mode. A typical config style layout where
multiline include and exclude list can be placed along with all other
options.

'rsync --job-file ~/update_stuff'

    scottb