the second time rsyncing a readonly file

Dan Jacobson jidanni at jidanni.org
Sun Apr 24 16:37:11 GMT 2005

Like nifteaux (nifto) man, all I did was change the sleep time and I
get different results:

$ touch u; sleep 0;touch v; chmod 0 v; rsync u v; ls -og u v; /bin/rm -f u v
-rw-r--r--  1 0 2005-04-25 00:05 u
----------  1 0 2005-04-25 00:05 v
$ touch u; sleep 1;touch v; chmod 0 v; rsync u v; ls -og u v; /bin/rm -f u v
-rw-r--r--  1 0 2005-04-25 00:05 u
-rw-r--r--  1 0 2005-04-25 00:05 v

OK, never mind that. What bothers me is

rsync: open "/mnt/usb/cf/webtree/media/ham/freq/freedom_en.html"
failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(702)

  -r-xr-xr-x  1 jidanni 4248 2005-04-18 03:31 freedom_en.html

Therefore in the manual at
       -p, --perms
              This  option  causes rsync to set the destination permissions to
              be the same as the source permissions.

also mention what to do when one copies some readonly files, only to
find that later we can't update them a second time, because they are
readonly. Duh.

One sees a --force, but the docs say it is for other purposes.
I used rsync -a --inplace -v webtree /mnt/usb/cf

-p:       Without this option, each new  file  gets  its  permissions  set
          based  on  the  source  file's  permissions and the umask at the
          receiving end,

Added?, subtracted?, etc. Say so.