--link-dest / --hard-links problem

Raphael Jaffey rjaffey at artic.edu
Sat Apr 23 23:46:23 GMT 2005

Hi Wayne,

The patch doesn't just drop in as there's additional code to handle "verbose"
mode in the 2.6.4 code which is not in the most recent "nightly" tarball.  It
looks trival to insert the patch manually.  Should this be OK or is the most
recent "bleeding edge" more stable?  I'm very concerned with stability.  I'm
using rsync to backup production systems for my employer and would rather use
the most stable code which supports the features I need.  I was using 2.5.7
(with Redhat and Progeny Transition Services backported patches) for a year or
more without problems, however I recently noticed that there were some
irregularities with the handling of hard links and --link-dest relating to a few
glibc-common files.  After working on this for a couple of hours and not getting
anywhere, I decided to try upgrading to 2.6.4 and that's when I discovered the
problem I reported to the list.  I've dropped back to 2.5.7 for the time being,
but I'll be happy to upgrade to 2.6.4 with the patch installed manually if it's
the right thing to do.  Can you advise?

Thanks,
Rafe