buggy? error reporting on remote symlinks

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Apr 22 16:42:44 GMT 2005

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 11:41:17AM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> $ /usr/local/rsync-cvs/bin/rsync -ve ssh plum:tmp/other ~/tmp/other
> skipping non-regular file "/Users/nick/tmp/other"

Yes, that's a bug.  It's caused by the specification of a destination
file instead of a directory, so the generator (on the receiving side)
outputs about the remote file using its receiving-side name.  If you
specified ~/tmp as the destination, it would have said this:

    skipping non-regular file "other"

I'll check in a fix that makes rsync use the file's generic name when
outputting about the remote file in a single-file transfer.  Thanks,