do not understand what to do to correct this error

Bob Hutchinson hutchlists at midwales.com
Fri Apr 22 15:30:37 GMT 2005

On Friday 22 Apr 2005 00:42, Don Golden wrote:
>- ----
> FULL RSYNC LOG
>- ----
> /usr/bin/rsync  -av --force --delete-excluded
> --exclude-from=/usr/local/etc/snapback/snapback.exclude -e ssh --delete
> peru.cbm.mercyships.org:/ /home/backup/peru/hourly.0/
>
> <bunch of lines deleted>
>
> wrote 873039 bytes  read 194103171 bytes  103848.85 bytes/sec
> total size is 148629419278  speedup is 762.30
> rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(1045)
>
> How do I correct a code 23...
>
> This is rsync 2.6.4 running on RedHat ES3 talking to a Redhat 7.3 system.
>
> Is this my error or is it a system error.

from man rsync:
23     Partial transfer due to error

sometimes a file gets deleted/altered between the time it is entered into the
building file list and when it actually gets transferred, which on a large
sync can be a while. This happens with pop boxes in particular, but also with
websites in development. Just run it again.

You also might want to switch verbose off, sometimes it can obscure an error

If the error is persistent and consistent then you need to isolate it and
either add it to your exclude list or resolve it some other way

keep an eye on your cpu and memory usage, especially on the receiving machine

I'm working on a problem at the moment, where a mirror of a machine just
croaks during the transfer, killing the network connection completely ;-(

> Don Golden, Information Technology Manager
> M/V Caribbean Mercy
>
>  <http://www.mercyships.org/> http://www.mercyships.org
>
> 504 739 5193 Work: 330   Cabin: 231
> eFax: 413-502-0868