Rsync HELP

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Apr 22 00:09:11 GMT 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 08:09:06AM +0200, Tibor V wrote:
> I need to populate folder1 [website] with folder2 [blueprints], that
> is for webpage.

I'm sorry, your question was too vague for me to be able to figure out
exactly what you are trying to do.  Rsync works like a normal copy
command in many ways, so you can just tell it a directory (or file) to
copy from (possibly using a trailing slash to copy the directory's
contents without duplicating it by name), and a destination of where it
should be put, and rsync does the copy.  I'd suggest that you use -n
(--dry-run) with a modern version so that you know what rsync plans to
do before you let it happen (using 2.6.4 on both ends of the connection
is best, as older versions were known to skip reporting some changes in
--dry-run mode).  Using --dry-run is also particularly useful if you
plan to use --delete, as it avoids a potential deletion-spree if you
mistype something.