Backward compatibility

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Apr 21 16:34:21 GMT 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 08:10:42AM -0500, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> The latest version of rsync apparently can't talk to version 2.5
> clients. When I tried connecting, I got an error message that the client
> needed to be upgraded to use more modern protocol.

There should be no problem connecting with version 2.5.0.  The latest
rsync fully supports talking to versions back to version 2.3.0 (protocol
20) but outputs a *warning* about any version older than 2.5.0 (protocol
25).  If you're getting a warning for an rsync that identifies itself as
2.5, it must not even be the released version of 2.5.0, since no warning
would be generated for that rsync.  Getting a warning doesn't prevent
rsync from working, but a fatal error is generated for versions older
than 2.3.0.