Max filesize for rsync?

Jeff Schoby JAS at GoColumbiaMO.com
Tue Apr 12 22:48:31 GMT 2005

I did what steve suggested here, on both machines.  I didn't use any
arguments for configure... just did ./configure

rsync -Caupvvvz server::myfiles /usr/mydir

Here's what happens when it gets to the one file that it says is too
big:

pathto/myfile
recv mapped pathto/myfile of size 1073741312
rsync: write failed on "/usr/mydir/pathto/myfile": File too large (27)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c (290)
_exit_cleanup(code=11, file=receiver.c, line=290): about to call
exit(11)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1347054 bytes received so far)
[generator]
rsync: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(420)
_exit_cleanup(code=12, file=io.c, line=420): about to call exit(12)

On Apr 12, 2005 10:04 AM, Jeff Schoby wrote:
> How do I build rsync for large file support..I'm going to need > 4GB
> files thru rsync.
>
> It basically stops with an error message of "File too large"...I can
> re-run rsync later with the -vvv flag and post the results tomorrow.

It sounds like your version of AIX has similar problems to HP-UX.  You
will need to re-compile rsync doing something like this:

1) run ./configure with whatever options you normally use
2) edit the config.h file and comment out the line "#define
HAVE_SECURE_MKSTEMP 1"
3) continue normally (e.g. "make", "make test", etc.)

Here's an older list article that describes the fix:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2004-July/010199.html

  -- Steve