Thanks for an excellent rsync!

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Mon Apr 11 15:08:05 GMT 2005

I had occasion this morning to apply rsync to another task.  As usual,
the docs were informative, the functionality I needed was easily
supported, and rsync worked like a charm.

Of course, all this is the result of a lot of hard work by the rsync
developers, especially Wayne.  I decided it would be good to publicly
acknowledge this, lest we all take it for granted.

To summarize, from rsync we get:

  - an indispensable tool

  - thorough documentation

  - extremely fast responses to bug reports

  - a rich feature set

  - continual improvement with new features and performance enhancements

  - a commitment to backward-compatibility

  - a commitment to security

  - excellent tech support, even for "dumb" questions

  - a professional release cycle

  - maintenance of auxiliary patches

  - and much more,  (feel free to mention what I've left off)

And, unbelievably, most of us get all this FOR FREE!  For these
reasons and more, rsync remains outstanding in the wide field of free
and open source software.  A heartfelt thanks goes to Wayne, Tridge,
and all of the rsync developers.

-chris