rsync is flaky going to Penang

Tim Conway conway at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 5 17:43:12 GMT 2005

There are times when rsync just can't complete a task.  I had a buggy
network and was required to maintain a large distribution on dozens of
buggy NAS devices all over the world.  I eventually had to write a sort of
distributed find/diff/rm/tar/untar system.

73,

Tim Conway
Unix System Administration
Contractor - IBM Global Services - ODCS
desk:3039240938
conway at us.ibm.com

<jackie_wright at agilent.com>
Sent by: rsync-bounces+conway=us.ibm.com at lists.samba.org
04/04/2005 04:41 PM

<agilent_ux at it.lists.it.agilent.com>, <rsync at samba.org>
cc

Subject
rsync is flaky going to Penang

Hello,

We are experiencing flaky behavior from rsync when attempting to rsync
directories/files to a server in Penang.   Several times the job seems to
?hang? and never completes.   Penang then is therefore missing a lot of
required cad files.    Have any of you experienced the same thing and what
did you do to fix the problem?   Does anyone know of a better tool to use?
  We chose rsync after rdist gave us problems.

Perhaps we?re missing an important flag in our rsync commands but I think
it?s set up correctly.
Thanks and Best Regards,
Jackie Wright
Agilent Technologies - WSD R&D IT Engineer
Telnet:  435-6653 or (408) 435-6653
Cell:  (510) 825-7638
Fax: (408) 435-4803