Always exitcode 256 under Cygwin with rsync 2.6.4

Paul Haas paulh at hamjudo.com
Mon Apr 4 14:39:32 GMT 2005

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 07:28:02AM +0200, Joost van den Broek wrote:
>> When you just give an empty rsync command, it should also exit with an
>> exit code (1). But the errorlevel gets set to no. 256 instead.
>
> As mentioned in the other message that brought this up, I assume that
> this is something wrong with the cygwin version (perhaps in how it was
> compiled?).  Rsync is exiting with all the right codes under Linux.

If I understand the problem, it looks like it is fixed in Cygwin 1.5.14-1,
which was released sometime on Saturday.

The Cygwin 1.5.14-1 announcement includes this change:

  - cgf: Right shift exit code by eight when process is not started in a
    cygwin environment.

Which sounds like the fix to your problem, although it is hard to tell,
since you didn't say what Cygwin version you were running.
--
Paul Haas
paulh at hamjudo.com