HP-UX 11i and largefiles on rsync

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Apr 2 01:30:31 GMT 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 03:36:59PM -0800, Steve Bonds wrote:
> Despite HP's intransigence, I'd like to have an rsync that builds out
> of the box with working large file support.

I attempted a fix for this by having the code not use mkstemp() if
open64() was around but mkstemp64() was not.  However, not having any HP
systems around to test this on, I never heard if this was helpful or
not.  Apparently not.

I'd prefer to add rules to configure that don't require trying to write
a large sparse file or to use the O_LARGEFILE kluge, but I'm open to
suggestions on whether creating a 64-bit binary is better than just
disabling HAVE_SECURE_MKSTEMP for HP-UX.  I think the latter would
probably be good enough, if we just want to go that route.  What's the
best way to detect HP-UX, anyway?